A Thought From Louise Bogan

"...in a time lacking in truth and uncertainty and filled with anquish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart." Louise Bogan, American poet (1897-1970)

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Scavenger Hunt

Sometimes you know exactly what you want to do with your life. You go to college or trade school, or get a job in the field you want to pursue... or perhaps you get married, perhaps you start a family. Perhaps you have a burning desire to join the Peace Corps or the Air Force. You start on your path, with the end goal firmly in your mind's eye and your path becomes a trail, then a dirt road, and finally you are gliding down the freeway of your life's plan. You don't take many detours, but of course there will be bumps and perhaps a delay or so. Maybe you'll come upon a construction site, and you'll entertain yourself for a bit by checking out the flagman.

My journey doesn't follow a road in that way. Mine has more in common with a very large scavenger hunt. There are many stops along the way - and each one is important, because without one item on your scavenger hunt list... you've failed. So, I started out raising beautiful daughters, but saw an opportunity to edit my first book while they played in the yard. The scavenger hunter must be on the lookout for list items at all times.

I've obtained a compass to use for the present course of my hunt. It's called The Creativity Book. Filled with assignments and exploring creativity in many different ways, I'm finding that career objectives and grocery lists may have a focus and direction to exclude other choices or prevent me from wandering around in the grocery store for hours on end because I haven't a clue what I'm out of at home.... but learning to indulge a creative sense involves a lot of meandering.

Week 7, Exercise 8

A. I am a creative person. I would like to set the following goals for the upcoming year... (write a paragraph) so, mine are more like lists..

I will produce a book of nonfiction short stories. I will become sensitive to the voice inside me and from that sensitivity - I will find a stronger writing voice. I'll design and complete quilts for Luke, Gracie & myself. I'll put to memory 5 full songs on the piano. I'll design the patio, completing it no later than next summer.


B. In support of these things, the tiny things I will do over the next few days are... (write a paragraph)

I'll go outside with the dogs first thing each morning to enjoy nature, fresh air, and a fresh look at my day. I'll write three stories from my childhood experiences and relationships. I'll clean my keyboard so I can work on my new piano course downstairs, and work on part two of New York State of Mind. I'll get my sewing room ready for work (i.e. finally move the last Christmas decorations to the attic). I will significantly reduce the amount of time I spend on the telephone.

No comments:

Post a Comment